Tearfund Quiz night

Sunday 10 November at 6pm in Achnamara Hall

Bring and share finger buffet supper and BYOB

Teams of 6 – bring a team or make up a team on the night. For the best chance of winning have a wide range of ages in your team so bring your children or your friends’ grandchildren. The more the merrier! Every pound raised will help transform the lives of people living in poverty.

There will be prizes for the winning team and a raffle. Raffle prizes will be gratefully received!

So please be generous……with your time, your talents and your money!

Kirk Session Agenda 23 October 2019

  1. Opening Prayer and Worship
  2. Sederunt
  3. Apologies
  4. Minutes of meetings of the 19th September 2019
  5. Matters arising from the above minutes:
    1. Audio visual equipment.
    2. Extension
    3. Heartedge Conference
    4. Life explored
  6. Worship and Mission:
    1. Elders
    2. Pastoral Care team
    3. Messy Church
    4. Alpha/ Alpha next
    5. Second Sunday Supper/Cafe Church.
    6. Mission Development Plan.
    7. Remembrance service.
    8. Community Gathering.
    9. Blytheswood Shoe Box appeal.
  7. Reports:
    1. Interim Moderator  
    2. Presbytery
    3. Stewardship  
    4. Safeguarding 
    5. Notifiable events 
    6. Treasurer and Finance Committee
    7. Health and Safety
    8. Fabric  
  8. Correspondence:
    1. Zero Waste Scotland – Workshop
  9. Date of next meeting
  10. Close with prayer.

Kirk Session Meeting 19th September 2019

The meeting was opened with prayer led by the interim Moderator.

Sederunt:  present were Mrs Alison Hay, Interim Moderator; Mrs Catherine Paterson; Mr David Logue, Session Clerk; Mrs Libby MacDonald; Mrs Norma Kelly, Presbytery Elder; Ms Ealasaid Mackay; Mrs Louise Logue, Treasurer.

Attending: Marjorie Drysdale

Apologies:   there were no apologies received.

Minutes of meetings of the 19th August 2019:   The minutes were read and adopted:   proposed by Mrs MacDonald and seconded by Mrs Kelly

Matters arising from the above minutes:

Audio visual equipment:  Mrs Logue reported that Mr Tabraham had carried out further research into LED screens and he has proposed that a 65 inch screen should be positioned on the wall to the right, facing, of the gable window of the Church.Mrs Logue placed a “mock up” screen in position and following discussion this was viewed to be a satisfactory place.   The “mock up” has been left in place for the congregation to view and make comments.    Mr Logue was asked to send this proposal to CARTA with a photograph for their views.

Extension:   Mr Logue reported that a letter has been sent to two architects offices asking for their interest in working with us on the proposals.   Mrs Hay pointed out that Presbytery would require responses from three companies.   Mr Logue was asked to send the enquiry letter to one or two other architects.

Heartedge Conference:   Mrs Logue presented figures of the costs for three people to attend this conference and the total figure covering two nights’ accommodation for three people and the conference fees was agreed.

Life explored:   Mrs Kelly has purchased this set for the church with 6 Leaders’ books and 20 hand books.   The Leaders books were distributed to the elders.  Mrs Kelly offered to look into running a course in the Spring of 2020.

Worship and Mission:

Elders and Elder’s districts: A number of names of people who would be suitable as elders had been submitted and Mr Logue was asked to approach them to ask if they would accept nomination.

It was also agreed that a Pastoral Care team should be established and a number of names of suitable people were suggested for this. Mrs Paterson agreed to take this forward and Mr Logue will forward to her the names of those suggested.

Messy Church:   Mrs Logue reported she is standing down from Messy Church for a year and that Mrs Courtney Smith is taking over the leadership.  She is planning to hold a Christmas Party to start off the next session. 

Alpha/ Alpha next:    This has restarted with regular Tuesday evening meetings.    Those present were invited to attend.

Second Sunday Supper:     The supper in September had been attended by 22 people and was well received.   This will continue monthly.

Cafe Church:   The next Cafe church will be on the 29th September in Achnamara Hall and will be led by the Local Worship team.

Mission Development Plan:     The first meeting of the five parishes had taken place on the 17th of September.   10 people from North Knapdale congregation attended, two from South Knapdale, two from Glassary Kilmartin and Ford, four from Ardrishaig and five from Lochgilphead.    Rev David Carruthers of Ardrishaig and Rev Hilda Smith of Lochgilphead also attended.    It was agreed at the meeting that two from each parish should attend the next meeting to consider and discuss proposals.     Mr Logue had written some comments and suggestions on reflection on the meeting and it was agreed that these should be circulated to the session and, if agreed, sent out to the Session Clerks and ministers of the other four parishes.

Reports:

Interim Moderator:   The Presbytery Conference had been well received. 

Presbytery:  The address to the conference by John Chalmers had been well received.   The Mission Committee is taking forward the Radical Action Plan in the Presbytery.   Mrs Kelly presented a report to the Mission Committee on the various organisations which are in place which address the needs of the community in relationship to concerns of loneliness, poverty and injustice in Argyll and Bute.   This is posted on the North Knapdale website. Mr Logue was asked to provide a note on the key elements of the Presbytery papers as an addendum to this minute.

Stewardship:  Mrs Kelly has forwarded the Stewardship Roadshow  “A narrative of generosity”, a slide presentation, to Mr Logue and it was agreed that this be shown to the Session and the congregation in the near future.  

Safeguarding :   a letter outlining changes to procedure in relation to who should have disclosure checks has been received and Mr Logue was asked to circulate this to all the Session members.

Notifiable events :  None

Treasurer and Finance Committee:    A finance committee meeting had been held this week. The committee advised the Kirk Session to transfer all the funds from the sale of Inverlussa Church into the Growth fund. The Kirk Session instructed the treasurer to do this.

Health and Safety:    Mrs Hay asked Mr Logue to remind Mr Anderson that completion of the Health and Safety Checks and Risk Assessments are critical and urgent to ensure that the potential liability of Trustees is minimised.

Fabric:   No report  

Correspondence

Tearfund:   Mrs Logue has received “Rubbish Campaign” leaflets. These were distributed to all present and it was agreed they be distributed at Sunday Morning Worship.

Date of next meeting:     The next meeting will be on the Wed 23rd October at 7.30pm in Tayvallich Church

The meeting was closed by saying The Grace together.