Kirk Session minutes 26 September 2017

At a meeting of the Kirk Session in Tayvallich Church on 26th September 2017 the meeting was constituted in prayer by the Moderator, Rev Clifford Acklam.
SEDERUNT
Present were Moderator, Rev Clifford Acklam, Session Clerk, Mr Alan Cameron, Elders, Mrs Norma Kelly, Mr David Logue, Mrs Louise Logue, Mrs Libby MacDonald, Miss Ealasaid Mackay and Mrs Catherine Paterson. Also present was Mrs Marjorie Drysdale.
APOLOGIES
Apologies were received from Mr Russell Anderson and Mrs Valerie Cameron.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The minutes of the meeting of 15th August 2017 were approved Proposed by Mrs Louise Logue
Seconded by Mrs Catherine Paterson
MATTERS ARISING
There were no matters arising.
CORRESPONDENCE
Email 21 Sep 2017 from the Moderator of the Church of Scotland.
There will be a mass sleep-out on 9th December 2017 in Prince’s Street Gardens Edinburgh. The intention is to focus attention on homelessness in Scotland. The target is for 9,000 participants with each attempting to raise £100 for the cause.
Email 25 Sep 2017 from the Mission & Discipleship Council.
An invitation to be involved in a “Back to Church Sunday, Weekend of Invitation” between 23rd and 26th October 2017. Sessions in various locations as detailed in the link which has been circulated.
INVERLUSSA CHURCH
The General Trustees have advised that a further Congregational Meeting will be required following the decision by Kirk Session that the Inverlussa building should be offered for sale. A meeting will therefore be held at Inverlussa on Sunday 1st October 2017 when full members of the Congregation will be asked to support the decision of Kirk Session.
REPORTS
Minister

Rev Acklam reported that he recently had a good meeting with the new headmaster at Tayvallich School, Mr J Helbert. It is hoped that an improved relationship with the school can now be developed. The inaugural pilgrimage walk took place recently, with a group of pilgrims arriving at Inverlussa from Achahoish. The minister had spent time with them and also on the next day at Bellanoch Church. The walk continued for several days, terminating on the island of Lismore. Rev Acklam had also attended a meeting of the St Margaret’s Peace and Justice Group.
Stewardship
Nothing to report.
Safeguarding
Mr D Logue reported that handbook no. 6 is now in circulation. There was some discussion on the role of the church in helping survivors of domestic abuse with required input from qualified professionals. Mrs C Paterson made the point that particular care had to be taken with cases involving children. It was suggested that elders and those working with children or vulnerable groups might benefit from a refresher course. Mr D Logue will arrange this with Doreen Henderson. The Safeguarding Committee will also meet and report to the next meeting of Kirk Session.
Presbytery
Mrs Norma Kelly passed on a new PVG flow chart and the latest SG11 which were issued at the September meeting of Presbytery. It was noted that we already have and are using these. Other items arising from the last meeting included details of the proposals for Hub Ministries and that a new Presbytery plan will be in place by March 2018. A new information pack on dealing with dementia was also issued and this will be retained in Tayvallich Church for reference. Rev Paul Beautyman had shared details of his youth work in Dunoon (EXP) and there is an open invitation to visit and find out more about developments there. Rev Acklam thanked Norma for her commitment to her role as representative elder.
Treasurer
Mrs L Logue reported that Presbytery had now approved our annual accounts. The accounts have now been submitted to OSCR.
Fabric
No report was received but it was noted that the bell at Bellanoch Church is still to be repaired.
ELDER TRAINING
Mr D Logue reported on the training day at Stirling on 23rd September which had been attended by himself, Rev Acklam, Mrs L Logue and Mrs J Jardine from Glassary, Kilmartin and Ford Parish. His report is attached as Appendix 1. Rev Acklam also reported on the workshops which he had attended :-
How to be an intergenerational church – this happens when age is no longer a boundary barrier. – “Invite young people into your story and they will invite you into theirs”.
Care for the Family – he was impressed by the speaker from this charity which helps families in difficult situations such as bereavement and parenting and marital issues. He will apply for resource packs for future use.
Mrs L Logue spoke about a workshop which explored the four different kinds of spirituality.
WORSHIP & MISSION
Arrangements for Remembrance Sunday, 12th November 2017. Wreath Laying at Barnluasgan at 9 am.
Rev Acklam will organise a piper.
Mr Cameron has the wreaths
The Service of Remembrance will be held in Bellanoch Church at 10 am. The retiring offering will be in aid of Poppyscotland.
Shoebox Service
This will be held in Tayvallich Church on Sunday 5th November 2017.
Any late shoeboxes can be handed in on Sunday 12th November 2017.
The Blythswood lorry is due to collect boxes from Lochgilphead on Friday 17th November 2017.
Pulpit Supply
Rev Acklam will be on leave between 31st October and 7th November 2017. Pulpit supply will be provided at
Tayvallich Church on 5th November 2017 by Mr J Malcolm.
Also at
Tayvallich Church on 19th November 2017 by Mr D Logue.
On this date, the Minister will be absent on duty.
Messy Church
The first session will be in Tayvallich on 5th October 2017.
There will also be an opportunity for older children to go to Sunday Soul on 5th November 2017.
Alpha Course
In preparation for a new course in Achnamara, there will be “taster” sessions on Friday 29th September at 7 pm and Saturday 30th September 2017 at 1 pm.
A.O.C.B.
There was some discussion around our forthcoming Christmas services. There has in recent years been a significant fall in numbers attending the Watchnight Service and an increase in attendance at the afternoon Carol Service. It was agreed that we would continue to hold the Watchnight Service this year and would monitor attendance.
Mrs Logue advised that a group (Community Transformers) associated with her Forge course were prepared to visit the parish if required.
D.O.N.M.
The date of the next meeting will be Wednesday 25th October 2017 at 7.30pm in Tayvallich Church.
The meeting was closed by saying the grace together.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *